Sunday, February 12, 2012

Mass Effect




So some of you may have heard that there is a new game coming out in March, which a LOT of people are raving about (mainly me) and are so excited to play (again mainly me) which is Mass Effect 3

In Mass Effect 3 you finish the story as Commander Sheppard and the crew of the Normandy as a deadly and highly advanced enemy known as the reapers are coming to wards our galaxy and are about to wipe out everything in their way, apparently its something of a choir for them as they do it every 50,000 years or so.

Now as much as I would love to go on about Mass Effect 3 and how good it will be, im going to save it for another day as the Demo is out soon and I cant wait to get my hands on it and test it out and a few new things they have thrown in such as, yes, you know it, COOP !!!!

The reason Im doing this post is to say why I love the Mass Effect games and why other people should at least play them as well.
Just a small idea of how BIG this game is


So the first Mass Effect game was released in the first year of the new xbox being released giving you a sense of how long this series has been running for and it puts you in the shoes of a Mr Commander Sheppard. Now as you explore different galaxy’s and solor systems doing missions and side quests and little odd jobs for other people too. Now it may not seem like a lot but the actual scale of the game is HUGE, I think for at least one proper play through where I litterally did everything I must have spent near enough 30 hours, and I enjoyed every minute of it.

I think the one thing that hooks people on playing the game is the fact that the game is a lot more personal. When I say personal I mean when you have a cutscene where Sheppard needs to talk you are basically telling him what to say, where it be good, bad or neutral you command what he says and also this effects the story line and also future games. I think it does get a lot more personal as well in a way, I mean not only do you decide what you will say to people during your missions but the choices are yours as well **Potential spoiler so be warned** Keeping it short, you have to decide who you save in one mission and who you let die**

Now comparing this to other games, one other person I felt the game felt personal to me was Master Chief, now I love the Chief, he is awesome and he kicks alien ass all day long, but in Mass Effect there is just that slight element of it being more personal especially as you play with Sheppard and your team, for example you get too AI players in every mission you do and i remember i always played with Ashley (female human soldier) and Garrus (Turian Soldier) now Ashley was there purely because she was a love interest in game, but Garrus was like your mate, and in Mass Effect 2 he starts cracking jokes and I think thats why I find it more personal.

Garrus was one of my main allies

Right, so Mass Effect 2. Well I dunno where to start really. I remember seeing the adverts and I knew Sheppard dies, well needless to say I wasn’t happy, but then I thought about different ways it was being across, maybe the trailer was showing the end of the game and he dies then, but no he dies right at the start of Mass Effect 2.

But don’t worry, all is not lost as after Sheppard was dead for 2 years a Anti alien Human Company called Cerberus, manages to retrive your body and bring you back to life !! Woop Woop, game on !!

Now if I liked Mass Effect 1, I loved Mass Effect 2, with another huge and long storyline and also DLC to accompany the game I belive I put 40 odd hours into this game and that was just on easy!

With Mass Effect your missions took you again all over the galaxy re visiting old faces and recruiting a nearly brand new team to help you along the way, and also  the choices you made in Mass Effect one also continue to this game, so if someone in the last game really liked you they will still in this game and also that applies if they hate you too, so watch out what you say too people.

The gameplay in Mass Effect 2 was massively improved as well, down to the little things such as walking and shooting, I remember playing Mass Effect 1 and sniping was so hard but now it was a breeze and getting in and out of cover (gears of war style) felt a lot more fluid.

Sheppard with 4 members

Its hard for me to go into certain things in the storyline without giving it away to people who havent played the game. But one thing I would recommend as Mass Effect 2 was a lot better than the first one is buy Mass Effect 2, there is a little 15 minute game on the marketplace which basically gives you all the main choices from the first game so you can carry it over into Mass Effect 2, but if you want to play it all and understand how the Mass Effect universe works I would highly recommend it

Until then, I hope you enjoyed and hopefully see you all on Mass Effect 3 and ill let you know how the demo goes !!


No comments: